Monday, December 6, 2010

Kitchen Chalkboard: Before & After

I wanted a little chalkboard in my kitchen to write inspiring quotes, seasonal sayings and to do lists.  I found this antique frame at a flea market for $10.00.  There was a section of the flea market that was raising funds for a little boy with cancer and this frame was in this section.  The $10.00 went completely for this cause, so it made for an easy decision and even if I wrecked the frame it would not have mattered.

Here is the "before":
 I just loved the detail on the top and in the corners.
I used wood filler to fill in the gaps with my fingers and roughly filled in the missing bits of frame. I than used a bamboo skewer to remove the wood filler around the detailed areas.
I didn't want it to be perfect and loose the antique feel.
I than painted the frame in a colour I already had in the house (my entryway) Benjamin Moore Mount Saint Anne.  I antiqued it a little more by glazing the corners with some metallic gold acrylic paint.  

For the chalkboard I bought a piece of hardboard for $2.38 at Home Depot and cut it to fit the frame.  I still have another big piece left.   I than painted the hardboard with chalkboard paint. 
It sits behind my kitchen sink in a plate holder that I got at the dollar store a long time ago.  It looks great with my santa full of dog bones, my $1.00 thrift store plate and antiqued candle holder.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! Or if you prefer e-mail, send your comments/questions to northernnest@hotmail.com